Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Monsters of Folk Debut Self Titled Album Review

Monsters of Folk is an indie folk rock "supergroup" that released their debut (self titled) album in 2009. The band's name is a reference to the "Monsters of Rock" type infomercials that one can often find on TV in the middle of the night. The band is made up of the members of Bright Eyes (Conor Oberst & Mike Mognis), My Morning Jacket (Jim James), and She & Him (M. Ward - who has also released many great solo albums.)

Like many indie rock fans I was looking forward to the release of this album as soon as I heard about it. I'm a pretty big fan of their work seperately and it seemed likely that they would gel together in an interesting way.

Now that I've heard the album I think it's actually better than I was expecting.

It's creative in ways I wasn't anticipating. For example; the first song "Dear God (MOF)" combines a sample driven (think Beta Band) style with a soul 70s R&B vibe (think Marvin Gaye.)

The album is filled with so many great catchy songs with excellent arrangements (with lots of cool harmonies, it's awesome to hear these guys all singing together) that it almost sounds like a "greatest hits" type compilation (which makes the name of the band fit even better.)

It sounds to me like f the members of the band took their best work to the table in an effort to make something really special and I think they've succeeded. This is definitely among the albums of the year, in my opinion. If you enjoy any of these artists in their usual gigs, I think you will enjoy Monsters of Folk.
Dear God is a standout track from Monsters of Folk.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Jackson_Weinheimer

No comments:

Post a Comment